Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sept. 19, 2016

I've been reading a thought each day out of the book that I got from Grandma Lou for Christmas last year and I thought I would share them with you. They are thoughts from Pres. Monsen, they apply to anyone but I have been thinking they really apply to you as a missionary right now.
Sept 16- "Service with a smile" D&C 123:17. Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
"Balanced service is a virtue to be cherished. There is to be time in your life to serve God, to serve your family, to serve your country, to serve your employer. "Service with a smile" is far more than a department store slogan. It is a way of life and a path to happiness. "
Sept 17- True Finishers
Isaiah 26:3. Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusted in thee.
"It has been said that the door of history turns on small hinges and so do people's lives. We are constantly making small decisions. The outcome determines the success or failure of our lives. That is why it is worthwhile to look ahead, to set a course, and at least be partly ready when the moment of decision comes. True finishers have the capacity to visualize their objective.
Sept 18. Persevere and Endure
Jacob 5:73 The natural branches began to grow and thrive exceedingly; and the wild branches began to be plucked off and to be cast away; and they did keep the root and the top thereof equal, according to the strength thereof.
"We know that there are times when we will experience heartbreaking sorrow, when we will grieve, and when we may be tested to our limits. However, such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were--better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with stronger testimonies than we had before.
This should be our purpose -- to persevere and endure, yes, but also to become more spiritually refined as we make our way through sunshine and sorrow."
Sept 19. Know for Yourself- James 1:5 if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask if God, that give th to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
"In order for us to be strong and to withstand all the forces pulling us in the wrong direction or all the voices encouraging is to take the wrong path, we must have our own testimony. Whether you are 12 or 112-- or anywhere in between-- you can know for yourself that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. Read the Book of Mormon. Ponder its teachings. Ask Heavenly Father if it is true. We have the promise that "if Ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it into you by the power of the Holy Ghost" Moroni 10:4"

Just something to think about for the week.

Our week here went by fast as always. Football practice. Monday we went to Kason's viewing. It was pretty rough but the team supported pretty good. I think the only one that wasn't able to be there was Ryder. Tycen was there and Mike. Tues. we went to Kason's funeral and it was interesting. They weren't active members but Micah's parents and family are active so there was a little bit of the plan of salvation shared but it was pretty sad overall to see the grief without hope of something better. Wed. We Worked on the putting the railing back on the deck. We have the north end done.
Thurs. The wind was blowing and it was raining when we were wanting to work on the deck.
Fri. We mowed the lawn. Picked up tomatoes and peppers for salsa. Carson had friends over after practice and dad went out west to find a place to hunt ducks on sat.
Sat. We went to Carson's game at bear River. They lost 14-6. These kids have a lot of talent but it doesn't seem like they are being pushed to use it. Like it's ok to be mediocre. It is driving me crazy.
We came home and started a batch of salsa. Dad went to work for a couple hours.  Taylor and Kayla came and helped with salsa for the rest of the day. Jolene came around 230ish and grandma came over around 6. We did 4 batches of salsa (49 quart jars) on sat. I took the last batch out of the canner at 1133pm. I was tired but couldn't go to sleep. 😠.
Sunday Teegan Hubbard spoke in sacrament meeting with the high council. He did a great job. I was impressed. He said he's been home about 7 weeks. So just a couple weeks after you left. I think dad recorded his talk for you. We went on a jeep ride up to Willard peak with the Baker's, Mortensen's, Kristal and Ben, Brian and Dalea, Grandma and Grandpa and Taylor and Kayla. The leaves were really pretty. There were some spots where the lane looked like a scene out of a movie with the perfect colors. We had a picnic at the half way point and met up with Leonard and some friends on their razors for a minute. It's always amazing the view at the top at inspiration point it gives you a little feel for what Heavenly Father sees when he is looking down and watching us. Kind of amazing the things he created for us.
So how was your week?  How did your appointments go?  What did you eat this week?  How is your language coming?  How about your scripture study?  What are the names of the elders in your district?  Do you have any sister missionaries there?  What is up with you laying in the road?  Are you trying to get run over by a car and not just clipped?
Bishop Petersen said that they have what they call sleeping policemen which are like big speed bumps in the road. He was wondering if maybe that was what you were doing?
I think we are going to go to the Salvodorian restaurant in Logan with Bishop and Sister Petersen in a week or so. He said that they had gone and Sister Petersen was the only one there that didn't have dark hair. So we probably will stick out like a sore thumb. Is that how it is for you there? Are the people drawn to you because of your blond hair and blue eyes?  Oh, and your magnetic personality. 😂😁
Well, I hope you had a better week. We pray for you always and want you to be happy and healthy. If you seek the guidance of the spirit, you will be blessed and guided to those that need you. That doesn't mean everything will be smooth and perfect. It just means that they need you. - comfort, the gospel, a friend-- whatever the case may be. Just remember the best thing you can do is be an example and love them. Love them whether they are going to join the church or not, whether they are doing things they should be or not. Just love them for who there are today and see in them what they can become. It may take years, or it may never happen but they will always remember that the blond haired LDS missionary from Brigham City Utah was their genuine fun friend.
Work hard, love everyone, be kind, and have fun!!

Love you

Mom

This week went by super slow. I couldn't work 3 of the 7 days this week. The first 2 because of my back and the other because I was super congested and my bones were hurting and had a fever of 38 C. My comp says I know that you think that you can work but if you do you will get worse and instead of one day of not working it could be a month because you are laying in a bed in the hospital. So I'm not super mad about it because I don't want to be in the hospital. This week was independence day for El Salvador and Guatemala. So there was a parade... I hated it it reminded me of peach days. But we used it to contact 2000 people. No only 84 really good contacts. But we took a flag and took their pictures then wrote down the address to go give them a free picture. I thought that it was a pretty good idea. We also gave out free water so that helped attract people. This defiantly isn't easy. The mission. I knew that before and I for sure know it now. But I don't know who put this paper about callouses and blisters in my suitcase but it is super good. Callouses and blisters are formed by friction and rubbing. But they are completely different. Blisters are soft and break easy and hurt. Callouses are the opposite. They are strong and protect the soft interior skin. In our lives we develop callouses and/or blisters. Our friction is our trials and if we develop blisters we can't handle it and hurt and break. But if we develop callouses we have a strong exterior and repel things and maintain our soft heart. Sometimes soft looks better on paper but it definitely is not in the long run. I just a coffee mug this week with a picture of some missionaries and me with the temple on it. It is pretty cool. We ate with the bishop and his wife they bought us pupusas and told us that they are moving to the states in a year or so. I hope they move to Utah and maybe you guys can meet them. They are super nice people. So this week I wondered why did I choose to serve a mission? Well the reason is because I was in a dark place and I didn't think that there was a way out. But there was one way out. It was through the gospel of Jesus Christ and I want to share the gospel with others because it changed my life and I want people to be able to have the same change in their lives the way I did. Because the gospel makes me truly happy. I love you and I hope all is well in the States 

Love 
Elder Lancaster

Mom:So what address do you want the recorders sent to?  I haven't ordered the Journal yet because it was out of stock, but I will get that done.  the recorders came on Saturday so we can send them tomorrow.  Did you get your package yet?  I'm wondering if it is maybe at the mission home waiting for you to come to a zone meeting or something?

Jackson:  I haven't got my package yet so I don't know. Just send it to the same address that you sent the other one but let me ask if he wants the journal

Mom:  You are sounding a little sad. What can I do to help from here?  We remember you in our prayers every night and morning. And lots of times in between.
We love you and want you to be happy. Don't let things get you down because it's hard. Life is hard no matter where you are or what you're doing. If you had just gone to college it would have been hard too. Not the same kind of hard but still hard and still on your own. 
I would love to send you a fun package to brighten your day but you might not get it Til Christmas. 

Andy's farewell is this week and I think Nicole Hurd left for Argentina last week or the beginning of this week I'm not sure when. 

I've already seen growth in you in the letters you write (even though they aren't long enough). Hang in there- you'll get it and you will wonder how you were discouraged to start with.  Just love what you're doing and everything will work out. 

Jackson:  I am fine? Its just I havent been able to work and I cant sit in our house another day!!! I wanna kill myself!!!! 

Mom:  Don't say stuff like that-- it's not funny!!  Not even a little bit.  Are you going out to do something today?  Did you do anything this morning?

Jackson:  We played ping pong today and latinos arent very good... Email the office tell them I need my package ;)

Mom:  What are your plans for the rest of the day?

Jackson:  Well we need to go eat then probably a family home evening. Oh so this Dominican in my district got his patrichal blessing yesterday and we told him that his tribe was gonna be Son of Cain because he is black haha no it was pretty funny though

Mom:  That is a terrible thing to say to a guy :(  Good thing that isn't one of the options.  -- I guess We will have to be creative on what we decide to send for Christmas.  Any particular treats that aren't chocolate that you are missing?

Jackson:  Only Chocolate.....

Mom:  I can try to send some. Maybe m&ms won't melt. 

Jackson:  Peanut M&Ms please :)

Mom:  So you didn't say why you were laying in the street?  and what about the blond hair and blue eyes theory.

Jackson:  The blonde hair and blue eyes people have no clue where I'm from when I start speaking spanish and we were just laying in the road to take pictures so ya thats it.

Mom:  so you bought a machete did you?  :)

Jackson:  No I have not. We just borrow them. But before I leave I'm defianitly buying a case.

Mom:  You are so weird :}  I'm guessing you are about out of time.  Have a great week!!  Get better- BE HAPPY!! WORK HARD!!
 
Love you
Mom
 
Jackson:  Nah I still get to talk. We can talk for a little longer :)

Mom:  How's azalea?  We don't see her much. She said she is working weekends at smiths but I haven't seen her there when we've been in.  Vickie said she's doing great at discovery. I asked if she was going to homecoming but Vickie said she hadn't been asked. 
We invited her to our home teaching dinner but she had to work.
Jackson:  She said she is good just working and going to school and soccer so thats about it. Maybe go say hi to her after a home soccer game that would be cool. Something like that. I'm sure once soccer is over her work schedule will change and you will be able to see her more.

Mom:  What did you think of the thoughts for the day?

Jackson:  No, no splits; and I do like the thoughts of the day.

      Not exactly sure what this is?   Or why he is wearing his backpack like a bulletproof vest.
     Coconut with a straw!

     I am wondering if they are pretending those are Star Wars Light Sabers :)
     El Salvador Independence Day Celebration
     The Elders in his District.
  Jackson is definitely the selfie king!  He has figured out how to get a good one with a regular camera :/
      I'm not exactly sure what he is doing with a baby chick, but hopefully they are doing good things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment