Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 26, 2016

Another week down. Time flies when you're having fun😉.
I emailed the mission home and they said it could take up to 2 months to get a package to you. So I guess one month is over and now it's just a hope that it gets to you sometime in the next few weeks. But they are watching for it.
I have the recorders packed up and ready to send with a few other things so we will give it another shot. By the time it gets to you the elders that were wanting them might be home 😜.
I think I am going to get stuff together for Christmas and send in the next week or so too. So hopefully it will get to you in time.
This week was a little more upbeat than last week. No funerals to go to and a pretty smooth work week for the most part. We signed up for a job fair in November and are just waiting to see if we get approved to go to it or not. I've been working on our company website and a few other things so we will be ready for the job fair. I actually got the site published. It's pretty rough but it's at least started.
We worked on the deck a couple days last week and got the railing all put back in. Now we need to do the stairs, but the next project is going to be replacing the window wells before the basement gets a mudslide. And with all the rain we have gotten in the last week, that is a definite possibility.   So we are going to get started on that project tomorrow.  I got the window wells last week so we just have to get the old ones dug out. That will be the hard part of the project  they are 5' long by about 4' wide so that's how much dirt has to be moved.  We need a couple strong backs and weak minds, but you're in El Salvador so we are short one of those 😂.  I think we will probably rent a mini excavator so we aren't dead when we get them done. But I guess we'll see how hard the digging is.
It has rained a ton this past week. There was even a tornado in Washington Terrace that did quite a bit of damage. There was flooding in Cache Valley too. I watched Aaron pull out of the yard with a tarped load of steel on Friday and holy cow!!  The water that was running off the tarp was incredible. It was like a wave off the ocean hit and was coming over the trailer. I don't think I've ever seen that much water come off a load all at once. They said that there is 6" of snow at Snowbasin this weekend too. So good news for the skiers.
Carson's football team won their game against Ogden Valley in Eden on Saturday. They actually showed up to play. It was great. Carson had a blocked punt that was taken back for a touchdown too. Pretty good for a lineman. Brian baker took video of it and Carson's feet actually come off the ground pretty far.  (And we didn't think he could jump😬).
I made 2 more batches of salsa this week. So we did 6 batches here and I think grandma did 8 at her house. So everyone has their own salsa so maybe we won't run out this year. We have 38 quart bottles of our own.
I forgot about the General Women's meeting last night, so I watched it all this morning while I was getting ready for church. It was good- each of the speakers talked about being strong women of the church, and different aspects of that, but my favorite talk was Pres. Uchtdorf and he talked about missionaries and the perseverance and faith that it takes to do the things that are asked of us. He talked about the missionaries that first contacted his wife and her mother. They decided to contact each door in an apartment building. They started and knocked the first floor with no success, then the 2nd, and 3rd and nothing. Then the 4th - every door and the last door someone answered. A girl answered and they asked to share their message and the mother wasn't too excited but let them in and shared their message and left a Book of Mormon. The mom read the book in a few days and that was the start of his wife's mother and her family's journey in joining the church. He said he will be forever grateful to those missionaries that didn't quit and had faith and love of the gospel to go to the last floor, the last door. It made me think of you and hope that you have that same conviction and desire to keep going even when it is discouraging and hard and you think you are just wasting your time because no one is going to listen. Just know that the Lord is mindful of what you are doing each day. He knows it isn't easy, but he also know that anything worth having is worth working for. If it comes easy, you won't appreciate it. It won't mean as much to you. Remember that.
Today was Andy's farewell. I think dad sent you his talk. He did a really good job. We went to his house after to visit for a while and ate. It was good to see Andy, Waylon, Riley, Jordan and Casey. We saw Logan Gardner too. He leaves in December and is also going to Columbia but different mission than Andy. He looks pretty good.
I was wanting to do something for Andy before he leaves. Get him something or whatever but I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
He leaves a week from Tues.
Next week is conference. Do you get to watch it live?  I'm assuming at the church or stake center if you do.
So who are the elders in your district?  Names and where they are from, how log they've been out, the ones you like or don't like and why?
They look like a pretty fun group in the pictures you've sent.
Who is the family that takes care of your laundry and food and how is that going?  What kinds of food do you eat?  Do they do meals like we do?
Do you like the family?  Do they have kids? Have you got to use the welder?  How are your clothes holding up?  (Mostly the white shirts).
How was your week?  Any new contacts or baptism commitments?  Are you still teaching the girl that decided not to get baptized a couple weeks ago?  How is the ward?  How is the Spanish coming?  You said you were doing better but how is it really?  How are you feeling this week?  Hopefully you are doing better and not sick and your back is feeling better. It probably hurt because you had the flu.
Well, have a good week remember who you are and who you represent. Work hard and have faith that things will work out. Because they always do. Maybe not how we plan but it always works out😊.
Love you
Mom

So this week was absolutely amazing!!!! I bet you won't believe me but I got my first baptism! It was the lady who didn't want to be baptized!!! The story this week is wild. So this week we were really pushing her and she was saying no. Honestly this week was super devoted to her but we had the highest numbers in the zone and the zone leaders thanked us for our work. So anyways this week went by super fast. Wednesday is the day that we really got to her. I studied all morning for her to see if I could get her. I found Joshua 3. It is where the Israelites need to take the ark across the Jordan river during flood season. And it wasn't like Moses where they were going to walk up to the river and Joshua was going to part it. They had to get their feet wet right? They got their feet wet and then it parted. So she wants the blessings of the Lord and needs to get her body wet in baptism to receive them. Thursday rolls around and she said no again and my faith was gone. I had lost it with her. I thought that she was never getting baptized while I was here. Friday rolls around we went and showed her a video of the Prophet Jose Smith's life. She was touched and everyone felt the spirit. She said yes to baptism the next day but I was like ya not going to happen. Then my comp was super happy for me and he was like tomorrow you are going to baptize!! I was like no I'm not. She's not going to show or she is going to tell us no. He was disappointed hurt and alone. He told me, "You are a missionary that says yes when everyone says no. What happened to him? You always need to say yes when anyone tells you no."  So we went back to the house and I prayed my heart out. I got my faith back and he said he wasn't mad but we needed to find clothes. So we looked every where and another person in our district had some. So it was all good. Then we got to the church on Saturday and all the doors were locked to the baptismal font. So we busted the door and justified it with a soul in God's kingdom is more important than a door. We baptized her and then that is it. later I'll send you a video of us cleaning my ears with fire. That's what the paper is. It has the junk from my ears.So that was this week!!! Love you guys and always be the one to say yes even when everyone says no.

Love Jackson

Mom:  So, I asked you a whole bunch of questions.  Please answer them. 
 
That is awesome that you were able to baptize that sister.  I think you look as happy as she does.  Now you need to make sure that she has someone in the ward that will be her friend and keep her coming to church and learning, because baptism is just the beginning.  It really is the easy part, but you have to start somewhere.  Remember my favorite lesson with my young women?  The difference between having a Testimony of the gospel and being Converted to the gospel.  There are a lot of people that know that the Church is true and have a testimony. But not all of them are truly converted and committed to do the things it takes to be able to receive ALL the blessings the Lord has in store for us.  Being truly converted takes commitment to do the things we are asked to do like accepting callings and serving missions, etc.

Jackson:  What were the questions?

Mom:  Next week is conference. Do you get to watch it live?  I'm assuming at the church or stake center if you do. So who are the elders in your district?  Names and where they are from, how log they've been out, the ones you like or don't like and why? They look like a pretty fun group in the pictures you've sent. Who is the family that takes care of your laundry and food and how is that going?  What kinds of food do you eat?  Do they do meals like we do?  Do you like the family?  Do they have kids? Have you got to use the welder?  How are your clothes holding up?  (Mostly the white shirts).   How was your week?  Any new contacts or baptism commitments?  Are you still teaching the girl that decided not to get baptized a couple weeks ago?  How is the ward?  How is the Spanish coming?  You said you were doing better but how is it really?  How are you feeling this week?  

Jackson:  Yes live. in the church. My comp is Elder Villatoro from Guatemala this week he will be out for 6 months. Elder Jimenez my 2nd favorite to my comp. 8 months. Also Guatemala. Elder Barojas from Mexico (almost gringo because he speaks perfect English and Spanish) almost 2 months. He came with me from the MTC I like him too. Elder Rojas from Panama. 6 months as well and I like him as well. Elder Tarvarez from Dominican Republic. He has been out 3 week more than me. I don't like him. He always talks about the time he has until he goes home. He is 25 I think. He can't speak Spanish or English. Like my comp can't understand him sometimes. He is just an oaf. I love the familia Gongora. They are awesome. They feed us lunch and dinner a lot of beans eggs and rice. They have 3 kids on is Taylor's age, my age and Carson's age.  My shirts are fine. We have 10 baptismal dates and no I don't get to use the welder yet. I feel great too.  

Mom:  Good-- I'm glad that you are feeling better.  I sent the Recorders with some other stuff today.  The lady out at the Corinne Post office was very helpful.  She said there was a way to send a package to you with tracking so we paid the extra $23 and I guess we'll see what happens.  Supposedly it's only supposed to take like 5 days to get to you.  (Well, to the Mission home.)  So I guess we shall see :/  What are your plans for the rest of your pday?
 
Jackson:  No clue!!!! Jajaja :)

Mom:  Do you do a lot of things with the members?  What kinds of Service have you gotten to do?

Jackson:  We chop with machetes is the service. and the City is a little bigger than Brigham. A lot work and a lot don't. I don't really know what kinds of things they do. But there are real stores and then there is the market. But then there are also stores that are kinda like the market so like you can barter with them.

Mom:  Is Bartering with them super weird?

Jackson:  Is stuff really inexpensive?  How much money do you get each month?  Do you have a card like Taylor did?
 
Mom:  Ya we have a card but we just take out cash at the begining of the month. We get $205.

Jackson:  So stuff iS pretty cheap then?  What do you do for breakfast?
Looks like you are way out of time.  Have a great week!! Keep up the good work and keep smiling.
 
Love you
Mom
 
Jackson:  We don't eat breakfast. I still have time.  

Mom: Why don't you eat breakfast?  You know it's the most important meal of the day right?! 

Jackson:  There isn't pisto for breakfast.

Mom: I don't know what that means.  Google translate says it means ratatouille.  I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about.

Jackson:  There isn't money.

Mom:  So what do you spend your money on?

Jackson:  Food. And buses. 

Mom:  So do you buy the food that the family prepares for you then? or do you pay them or what?  if they feed you lunch and dinner.

Jackson:  They feed us lunch and dinner but dinner is at like 830 so we have like some food here and there and I bought toilet paper and stuff like that is where the money goes and we pay them.  What are you guys doing today?

Mom:  We're at work.  Carson has football practice and we are going to start digging out the window wells.  We are SUPER excited about that.  I think I'm going to take a few IB's before we get started :) since I'm in such good shape!
You should probably figure out something with your budget so you can eat breakfast.  You probably don't have a fridge or anything to keep a lot of food, but like maybe crackers or fruit or something quick and easy for you so YOU don't get Hangry!!  Because you are miserable to everyone around you when you're hungry.

Jackson:  I really am not all that hungry or angry but Sundays are super bad and I am super hungry.

Mom:  I hope you don't get ornery with your companion when you're hungry.  But still something you should probably do.  What stuff have you bought with your visa?  I'll probably need to get it paid.

Jackson:  When there is pisto I'm going to send a big ole pack of letters with a tie for Carson. for his birthday. Tell dad I'm gonna get him a hat and send it later but next month I'll send you the letters and then you give them to Macey and Azalea and whoever else I decide to write.

Mom:  Sounds good.  We saw and talked with Macey and her parents at Andy's farewell yesterday. 

Jackson:  Cool cool. How are Marlese and Dave?

Mom:  They are Good and said to make sure and tell you hi.  They sat in front of us and we chatted for a little bit.  Macey was funny when they said to say Hi- she was all- They could have just asked me, I would have said Hi for them.  :)
 So how long are you supposed to be online anyway?  Do you get extra time because your comp is the district leader and has extra paperwork to send in?  Not that I'm complaining about getting to chat a little longer, but I don't want you to be getting in trouble.

Jackson:  Well ya he has that and no one can be alone and so one group of missionaries had service so they had to write earlier and then another didn't want to write until later so we just sat here with both :)

Mom:  K-- Well I am running Carson and Ben to Football so I will talk with you next week.  Keep smilin'
 
Love you

                                               I think they are hot and tired!  Jackson's hair is getting super blond.

                     I'm not quite sure what the fascination with laying in the street is?
                                                 'The Running of the skinny cows!'
                                                               He is such a dork! :)
 I'm not sure breaking the door was a great idea.  A little better planning would have been a better one.  But they were definitely justifying it with a baptism.
 I think Elder Villatoro is making fun of Jackson's favorite tie.
                                                                      1st Baptism



       This is one of the lizards Jackson has caught and they mark them to see who catches the most.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Jajaja I was filled with happiness and nostalgia when seeing the photographs, thank you, and that lizard was mine, it was number 60 that it caught

    ReplyDelete