Tuesday, September 6, 2016

September 6, 2016 2 weeks in the Mission Field

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Sharon Lancaster <slancaster@kellerits.com> wrote:

Labor Day weekend. It has been nice to have a couple days not to worry about trucks and drivers and just relax. Carson had practice on Friday and then went to the football game at Bear River with Charlie. The bees won 20-6. Six straight wins of the spike.  We went to Carson's game on Saturday in Clearfield and then came to the cabin after. Jolene and Kevin came up and grandma and grandpa. We brought the projector and the kids played the wii outside in the garage door until it started to rain and then they came in and watched Here Comes the Boom on the projector in the main bedroom.
Today we left a with grandma and grandpa a little before noon and met Brian and Dalea, Shay and Molly, and Jared Rhodes and his wife at the Anderson cabin and went on a jeep ride. We took the road up to Bloomington Lake and where the road splits to go to the lake we stayed straight and followed it up over a rocky dug way and over into Mink creek. It was pretty cool. Really nice ride.
Carson didn't want to come so he went with Kevin and Jolene and they went up to Minnetonka caves and the Paris ice cave and spent the day hiking and playing football at the park. Taylor and Kayla couldn't come because Taylor had responsibilities to play for the ward choir and made plans with some friends to go to the Spiral Jetty on Monday afternoon.
We were talking about missionary work today as we were driving. I totally admit I could never be a good full time missionary because I just can't see myself being aggressive about it.
We mainly were talking about when dad gave the spiritual thought in bishopric meeting a while ago and he asked if anyone had ever spent any time with friends that belong to another church at their church functions. We haven't had many opportunities to do that but we have had a few and it puts missionary work into perspective for me.
As we invite others to come to activities or church or whatever the case may be, they go through the questions - will I fit in?  Will they know I'm not a member of their hitch and treat me different?  Are they being my friend just so I might join their church?  At least those are some of the questions that went through my mind and we almost didn't go because it might be uncomfortable for us. I think as Mormons we avoid going to other people's churches more for reasons of insecurity than anything else, but it comes off more as seeming like we think we're better than they are. Which isn't the case at all. But we need to remember that we invite people to church and activities etc because we want to share the joy that we feel being members of the church. When we likewise get invited to attend things at other churches we need to be mindful that they are also wanting to share the joy that they feel from being members of their church also. We all believe in the same Jesus Christ. Just some of he details may be a little different. We need to be respectful of that with one another.   I also think that the best way to do member missionary work is to live our lives as we should. And the example of the gospel in our lives will show through. You and your friends growing up were always great examples of that to your friends. It didn't matter whether they were members of the church or not you were all friends regardless and you showed the light of Christ in your lives to all those around you. Not to say that any of you were perfect, but you were all amazing examples to those around you.
I have a greater appreciation of missionary work since Taylor and now you are serving full time missions. It is definitely a hard thing to ask of a mom but it is the best opportunity for you to test your testimony and knowledge of the gospel and for you to decide if you not only have a testimony but are truly converted to the gospel.
I think I've kind a rambled today but I've had a lot of things running through my head today and this week.
Hopefully you had a great week.  Your companion seems nice. How is that going?  Have you got to use the welder yet?  How was the rabbit for dinner? Did you have to kill it yourself?  Dad said you ate Fido and it wasn't very good. What kinds of food do they eat on a regular basis?  Anything normal?  Did you get your package yet? (I'm guessing not yet, but hopeful that maybe you got it). I need to figure out how long a package is going to take so we can send something for Christmas.  Your letter took about 3 weeks so I'm planning on at least that much time but who knows.
Tell me what you've been up to all week.
Work hard, love the people, love the Lord, listen to the spirit and let it guide your thoughts and actions in all you do, stay busy and you will be happy. We love you and miss you but know that you are exactly where you need to be at this time in your life. Even the times when I'm thinking about you and what you might be doing and I get a little sad, I always have a peaceful feeling come over me that makes me remember that you are doing exactly what the Lord asked and he will watch over and protect you.  Love you always.

Love
Mom

This week went by super fast. I taught a few lessons but didn't do much. I have been practicing my Spanish a ton. My companion says that it is getting better everyday but I'm not completely sure sometimes. I didn't get to eat the rabbit yet which sucks. I really want to try it. Yesterday was fast Sunday and I had absolutely zero energy. I don't know how I ever wrestled. But also yesterday I saved a little girls life. My companion and I were sitting in a house and the little girl tripped and fell and started crying. But remember how Easton would stop breathing when he would cry? That happened. So the mom started freaking out. My companion took the girl trying to get her to breath and I blew in her face we both said a quick prayer and she started breathing. It was really wild. Then we gave her a blessing. Super chivo. I was pretty scared. Since my comp is the district leader the zone leaders have to interview our baptismal candidates. So since they live an hour away in San Vincente they didn't make it here so we could baptize Hma Blanca. But they are coming this week so we can. Hma Blanca is awesome. I get to baptize her. We asked her how long she could hold her breath under water because we hold her under and wash all her sins with shampoo. Hahaha She was like but I have a lot of sins!!! Ha we told her it was a joke so its all good. Well that's all for this week mommy!!!!

Te amo tanto
Elder Lancaster
Su hijo favorito

Mom:  How old is the lady your are baptizing? How long has she taken The discussions?  
What is the name of the town you are in?  How big is it?  How far away was the temple? I'm assuming you got to go last week like you said.
So I'm wondering what your schedule is going to be?  Are you just going to be all over the place or are you going to have a regular time?  What is your schedule like all day on a normal day and on pday?  Is there anywhere to go shopping? Did you get the shoes you were trying to get?

Jackson:  Yeah went to the temple. It is like an hour and a half drive. My card works now. I bought a new pair of shoes and I'm getting a back pack this week too. The city is Zacetecolcua. Its pretty big. I love it. I forgot my camera at the house because we went to San Vicente earlier today for Zone something. I don't know the details of the other two questions sorry.
Kinda all over the place. But plan on like 1ish or 2ish I'm not completely sure. Ya there is a supermarket but I don't have to shop. They have the market that is good too. Ya I got my shoes. We study until noon then we have lessons and contacting that's it.

Mom:  So are there other missionaries in your area that you meet with sometimes? Or is it just you 2?  How big is your district?

Jackson:  We have six in the district. We are with another companionship a lot.

Mom:  So where is the temple actually at?  When we were looking it looked like there were 2 temples in El Salvador. Which one did you go to?

Jackson:  There is only one in the Capitol

Mom:  Well that's pretty cool you got to go then. Is that something that you'll get to do on a regular basis or was that just a one time thing?

Jackson:  We get to go twice a year

Mom:  So I guess that will probably be it for this year. How's the weather?  We saw some pictures of Parker Stewart and it looks like it is definitely the rainy season in Guatemala. 

Jackson:  Guatemala is freezing compared to here it is about 1000 degrees and rains hard about once a day.  I forgot my camera so next week pictures 

Mom:  I forgot - I wanted to know where you email from?  Do you go to the church,  someone's house, Internet cafe?

Jackson:  Internet place. its ACed (air conditioned) and so nice.   Might buy a machete with a sheath today I'm pretty stoked.

Mom:  I was seriously laughing at the pictures if you with the machete last week. You have been bugging us about getting one for about 6 years. What did you do for the service project with them?  Was it the weed eater?

Jackson:  Yep it was the weed eater

Mom:  So what are you doing for the rest of your day?
Jackson:  Walk around buy stuff contact and family home evening.

Mom:  I'm guessing you are about out of time. Keep working hard. Keep smiling and have fun in all you do. Sometimes you might have to fake it Til you make it but that might have to be good enough. Remember we love you and that you are always in our prayers. 
Just a thought that I read last week and it is still making me laugh. 
'This too shall pass. . . . It might pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass'. 😂😂
Love you have a great week!!

Here is a little bit of Carson's Correspondence.(Well, actually all of it :) )  

Carson:  Hi from Carson. So how's it going
You catch lizards from you closet and sign them?

Jackson:  Yeah but we don't have a closet. Just a spot to hang clothes.

Carson:  So it is supper duper hot down there and you are going to buy a machete so what else fun do you get to do?

Jackson:  Buy Pupusas.

Boyd didn't let me have the letter he sent to Jackson, but I confiscated his correspondence because it's a little bit more entertaining than mine.

Jackson:  Suave la papaya. I don't know what you want me to say to you. My feet are blistered my head aches. It's super hot. I work so hard that at 10:30 I crash? I don't have all that much to say.

Boyd:  What's the country like? What do you eat? Does it rain a lot?   Is the town small or big?  Do the people hate you? How's the laundry? Did you get our package?

Jackson:  It rains hard once a day and the city is pretty big. Some people hate me some don't. The laundry is by hand but by a lady in the ward. No I didn't get the package yet and I want it so bad.

Boyd:  Have you taken any pictures of anything good. Don't forget to take pictures so you can always remember things you have done.

Jackson:  Ya we take pictures I just forgot my camera or I would send some.

Boyd:  How do you travel to all these places?

Jackson:  Bus 100% or walk

Boyd: So is it a chicken bus?  Bus pass or pay every time ?

Jackson:  No.  No animals on the bus. But the dog thing is true. There are dogs everywhere.  It is like a quarter every time, or sometimes 20 cents. but when we travel farther its like 65 cents

Boyd:  What dog thing?

Jackson:  There are dogs absolutely everywhere. Like everywhere!!!

Boyd:  If the dogs are everywhere they are not eating them. 
  We just saw Brady Dart and his family at the chevron at Bear Lake.

Jackson:  Wow thats cool. Did you talk to them?

Boyd:  No, but his dad just stared at us like I know these people but who are they .?

Jackson:  Jaja a la vida there is some cool stuff here though for super cheap. Tell carson I got him a tie for his birthday.

Boyd:  How are you going to get it here?

Jackson:  Through the mail.

Boyd:  Just don't send any lizards home 

Jackson:  Oh my haha we have caught 11. Well just me. My comp has 20. You catch them and then tag them with a marker. 

I guess that's it for this week.  It is hard to believe that Jackson has been gone for 8 weeks today.  The time goes by fast when you look back, but going through each day seems long.  We are liking the 'free time' that we have to catch up on all the home projects that we haven't had time to do since Taylor started playing football 13 years ago.  Carson is playing Football, Wrestling and Baseball still, but for some reason chasing only 1 child and one sport at a time is really almost no stress at all and takes hardly any time. :)  Boyd and I have decided that once we get our projects caught up this fall we are going to need to find a hobby to occupy our time.  It will have to wait until after the World Series though, because Boyd has to watch his baseball games.  



No comments:

Post a Comment